The Pennsylvania AAA Federation was formed as the Pennsylvania Motor Federation by six automobile clubs, encompassing 750 members, on March 1, 1906 in Philadelphia. The purpose of the Federation was to secure organized action from motorists around the state in order to promote the enactment of reasonable motor vehicle laws and secure a system of improved state highways. In 1907, the Federation became the Pennsylvania Division of the American Automobile Association and expanded its Good Roads Campaign to pass national legislation like the Federal Highway Act. The Federation grew to as many as 105 auto clubs and expanded its services to include distribution of state maps and touring maps. The Federation was instrumental in the creation of our system of State Highways and was an important factor in securing the adoption of the Road Bond Issue Constitutional amendments and the construction of the Lincoln Highway (Route 30). The Federation successfully opposed repeated efforts to impose unreasonable fees and taxes on motorists.