The 16th and Haak Elementary School was opened in the fall of 1968 on 2.65 acres in East Reading. Haak Street was named after the Haak family farm, which was located in the same area. The new school replaced three older buildings: 15th & Perkiomen, 17th & Cotton, and the original 1898 16th & Haak (which was located directly across the street from the new school). The razing of the old school provided space for a new playground. In 2001 an addition was completed. In 2002 nearly 520 boys and girls attend 16th and Haak Elementary School. Forty-five staff members educate and serve the needs of each individual student. There are 24 classrooms for grades pre-kindergarten to 5th grade. The new addition permitted art, music, instrumental, and gym to have their own classroom. A new lunchroom and all-purpose room is included in the addition.