History: Quitman, located between Archusa Creek on the east and the Chickasaway River on the west, was officially recognized by the Mississippi Legislature on February 13, 1839. The town was named after the second Chancellor of the State, General John A. Quitman. Today, Quitman serves Clarke County as the seat of local government. Quitman's evolution from an Indian settlement to the seat of county government occured over a period of more than 150 years. With U.S. Highway 45 east of Quitman and easy access to Mississippi Highways 18, 511, 512, and 513, Quitman gives almost equal proximity to its neighboring towns and communities. Guided by dedicated civic leaders, Quitman has seen rebirth from "the ashes of destruction" of the Civil War, to a modern-day, rural city. In the 1960's, the Pat Harrison Waterway District was created, and an accomplishment was Archusa Creek Water Park, one of ten recreational facilities in the system. In addition to the 79 campsites and four vacation cabins, the park, located withing the City of Quitman, has grown to be a popular recreation spot.