New Page 1 History South Hill Calvary Chapel started in the South Hill area on June 14, 2001, with a small Bible study at Mel Korum YMCA. Within a few months, on October 14th, Sunday services began at Ferrucci Junior High School. On March 17, 2002, the Lord opened up an opportunity for us to meet at the more permanent facility of the Cascade Early Childhood Development Center. Formerly a church building, the center is fully equipped with all the classrooms and sanctuary necessary for effective ministry. Truly, our relationship with Cascade has been a match made in heaven. South Hill Calvary Chapel is affiliated with Calvary Chapel of Costa Mesa, California, which was founded by Pastor Chuck Smith, who has remained their senior pastor to this day. Pastor Chuck was one of the human instruments God used to bring about the "Jesus Movement" of the late 1960's and early 1970's, he is the author/teacher of the national radio program: The Word for Today. The Calvary Chapel movement has spawned over 1200 churches in the United States and around the world. Pastor Ron Sanchez was ordained as a Calvary Chapel pastor in 1992, he was sent out to South Hill as a church plant from Calvary Fellowship in 2001. Calvary Fellowship's senior pastor is Wayne Taylor, who has been instrumental in planting over 30 Calvary Chapel churches in Washington, Russia, Germany, France, England and Japan. For more information on the history of the Calvary Chapel movement and the distinctives of Calvary Chapel contact the church office. We would be happy to send you a complimentary copy of the books Harvest and Calvary Chapel Distinctives. Both of these books can also be accessed on the RESOURCES page of our website, under 'Calvary Books Online'.