Under sponsorship of the First Baptist church of Phoenix, a Southern Baptist mission was started in a store front building in Prescott, on January 14, 1946. The church moved to the corner of E. Gurley and Virginia Streets it met for about 50 years. That facility was expanded several times until the need for a larger building led to the decision to sell. The First Southern Baptist Church became known as Willow Hills, First Southern Baptist Church upon its moving to the Willow Hills subdivision area. Willow Hills has been connected to the Southern Baptist Convention since its inception. Willow Hills exists for six purposes: exalting God (worship), evangelizing the world (evangelism), equipping believers (discipleship), edifying others (ministry), encountering God (prayer) and encouraging one another (fellowship).