Prairie Grove is a growing community of approximately 3900, located 4 miles west of Fayetteville. Though traditionally an agricultural area, the City has transformed into a small successful retail and industrial community, home to numerous businesses and small manufacturing facilities. The City also has many subdivisions with lots available. Housing in the City is diverse, with many older traditional homes and many that are new construction. The City is known for its small town values, but offers many amenities that are often only found in larger communities. The Aquatic Center, Childrens library, and parks are among the features that make Prairie Grove attractive to families. Prairie Grove is rich in history. From the acres and acres of historic preservation in the State Battlefield Park, to the downtown businesses and older residential neighborhoods, many buildings date to the turn of the century or even earlier. History: The earliest accounts of settlement in what is now Prairie Grove dates back to the late 1820's. In 1829, the Reverend Andrew Buchanan, "Uncle Buck" as he was known, came to Prairie Grove after hearing about a large bountiful spring located in a grove of trees in a beautiful valley. When he arrived the land was already occupied by a man named Tom Wagnon who had laid stake to the spring. Wagnon, in respect for the preacher, agreed that if he could find another suitable piece of replacement land, he would let the Reverend keep the spring for a trade. Uncle Buck agreed to the terms of the trade, Wagon wanted him to travel to his new place of settlement and preach two good redemption sermons in exchange for the land. Andrew Buchanan soon established a church and many new settlers started coming to the valley to live. Among the famous reported to have visited the spring, included, Sam Houston, Resin Bowie, Jeff Davis, Winfield Scott, and Chief Sequoyah. The spring is still visible in Mock Park, located in downtown, and looks much as it did at that turn of the century. The spring was long a gathering spot, where locals would drink from the cool waters and socialize. In 1933 the spring became the first source of water for the newly constructed water treatment and distribution system. The City is also known for its historical and tragic past. On December 7, 1862 the last major battle in NW Arkansas took place during the Civil War. Over 2500 soldiers lost their lives that day, and as darkness fell, confederate troops, outmanned and out of ammunition retreated South under the cover of darkness. The area's first Post Office was established in 1840 and was called Sweet Home Post office, as the area was referred to at that time. It was replaced a few years later and renamed Ada Post Office. A number of years later, the name Prairie Grove was coined. According to legend, after a young girl passed away, her parents requested she be buried in the cemetery located in the "grove of trees on the prairie". In 1877 streets and lots were platted and the town incorporated in 1888.