Founder, Charles H. Sturtevant, established what is now Sturtevant Funeral Home in 1883. The firm began as the partnership of Gaskins and Sturtevant and was located at 608 Middle Street in Portsmouth. Other partnerships were begun and dissolved until 1938 when E. Robie Sturtevant, Charles' son, became sole owner of Sturtevant Funeral Home then located at 915 Court Street. Mr. Robie, as he was affectionately known by all, operated the firm until his death in 1959. In March, 1969, the funeral home relocated to 5201 Portsmouth Blvd., Portsmouth, and William R. Gardner, grandson of Mr. Robie, is the President. Bill represents the fourth generation of the Sturtevant family.