Driver Owned and Operated Since 1946.Radio Cab's History: During the spring and summer of 1946 two groups of WWII Veterans held meetings to discuss creating new taxi companies. One group called themselves Tuxedo Cab, the other Radio Cab. Each group appeared before the Portland City Council to request taxi company operating permits. City Council told them to leave, join forces and come back as one company. They got together, appeared before Council as Radio Tuxedo Cab Company, and were granted 35 taxi permits to operate in the City of Portland, Oregon.Radio Tuxedo Cab hit the streets on August 23, 1946. Our first phone number was BE-1175. The original office was located at 1715 S.W. Salmon. It was a two room wooden structure with only two phones for incoming calls. Out on the streets we shared call boxes with other cab companies or used free phones in service stations and restaurants to get our orders from the dispatchers.Our new company was formed as a corporation, owned collectively by the drivers. Each owner/operator held a share of the company assets. Together they decided on the rules and operating procedures. It was well understood that their individual success was entirely dependent on the success of the company - and it has remained that way to this day. Our original fleet numbered 35 cabs. All of the drivers wore blue uniforms complete with chauffeur caps and were members of the Teamsters Union. Times were good, but operations were difficult because of the scattered taxi stand locations and lack of two way radios in the cabs.Throughout the years Radio Cab gradually grew in number. We acquired other smaller cab companies and were issued additional operating permits. We are currently permitted to operate 136 taxicabs inside the Portland city limits, and also have a growing fleet of cabs operating in the greater Portland metropolitan area, including Vancouver, Washington. This makes us one of the largest taxi fleets in the Pacific Northwest. Our dispatching procedures and equipment have gradually changed during our history, too. Keeping track of the cabs and taking orders from customers was done manually at first. Hand written paper order slips, magnetic boards with numbered buttons for each cab, and two-way radios were the standard means up until the mid 1990s. It was then that we made the decision to computerize the dispatch system. Today we have the most advanced digital dispatching system available. It uses mobile data terminals in the vehicles to receive orders from dispatch. GPS allows us to keep track of the location of all the cabs. We have also replaced most of the direct line phones with automated call boxes at the clubs, restaurants, hotels, and other commercial establishments. These call boxes automatically dispatch cab requests with the simple push of a button. In spite of all the digital enhancements to our operations we still make use of our two-way communications radios occasionally, because after all we are Radio Cab Company.