When Port Huron civic leaders began planning for the community's future after World War II, wide support emerged for a convention facility. Proponents argued that such a community addition, playing up the area's water attractions and easy access to Canada via the not-yet-ten-year-old Blue Water Bridge, would bring tens of thousands of dollars into the area. In 1953, however, Port Huron taxpayers dashed the hopes of convention-center planners when they turned down a proposal at the polls for a city built facility. Two years later, an entity then unknown to most residents-The McMorran Foundation, set up in 1955 By Andrew J. Murphy, his wife, Emma McMorran Murphy, and her sister, Clara McMorran Mackenzie-offered a gift of $1.2 million to build a municipal auditorium in downtown Port Huron. The announcement by the family members and the two other foundation trustees-Alex J. Theisen and J. Grant Moore-electrified the community, and a wide area beyond it. The foundation had been named for business pioneer and early-century Congressman Henry G. McMorran, father or Mrs. Murphy and Mrs. Mackenzie. Mr. Theisen was a long time business associate and counselor to the McMorran family. Mr. Moore was a local insurance broker. The auditorium gift announcement seemed too good to be true, yet it was true. It also was the beginning of a series of gifts from the McMorran and Murphy families, individually and through the foundation, that would total $3.5 million ($21 million in 2001 dollars) over the next decade to provide a facility that would evoke envy far and wide. McMorran Complex today consists of one of the finest community auditoriums in the country and two arenas that not only provide ice for hockey and other skating but which have become centers for a myriad of non-ice programs and activities.