The mission of the Charles A. Ransom District Library is to serve with integrity all residents of the district by providing literary and informational resources to support and enhance personal growth and the cultural life of the community. The Charles A. Ransom District Library was established in 1868 as the Ladies' Library Association.It was given its present name in 1917, after the Ransom home at 335 E. Bridge Street was given to the city for use as a library by Amanda Ransom, with the stipulation that it carry her late husband's name. In 1973,the current building was constructed and dedicated.1998 marked our silver anniversary at the present location,and our 130th anniversary of service to the Plainwell area. Today,the Library circulates over 60,000 items a year to the residents of Plainwell,Gun Plain Township and Cooper Township.