West View United Methodist Church146 Cornell Ave, Pittsburgh, PA 15229
The history of the West View United Methodist Church begins with the history of the Borough. Seeing the need for the welfare of the new community, a few citizens began a Sunday School soon after the Borough was founded in 1905. Then a building was constructed for worship, with the first service held at the present site on December 5, 1909. The name of the congregation was the East Bellevue Methodist Episcopal Church. In the year 1923, the building was enlarged to accommodate a growing congregation. In 1939, the congregation officially became the West View Methodist Church, and in 1948 a new Education Unit was added. In 1956, a more extensive addition and remodeling of the sanctuary was completed -- the third time in less than 50 years that renovation was undertaken to serve both the congregation and community. In 1968, the Methodist Church merged with the United Brethren and Evangelical Church and became the United Methodist Church. Hence, our name is now the West View United Methodist Church. A forth renovation has been completed which included upgrading the community room, enlargement of the Chancel area and making the building accessible to persons with physical handicaps.Presently the congregation consists of over 400+ members and is a congregation responsive to local and world needs, through commitment to our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.