City Of Phenix City601 12th St, Phenix City, AL 36867
City of Phenix - 1883 The City of Phenix city was first incorporated as the Town of Brownville by an Act of the Alabama Legislature H.B. #585 on February 23, 1883. The Town of Brownville was situated north of the Town of Girard in Lee County, with its Southern boundary being the Northern boundary of Girard which is presently known as Fifteenth Street North. The County Seat of Lee was Opelika. T.S. Young was elected Brownvilles first Mayor and presided at the first meeting of the Board of Alderman held March 27, 1883 in the Masonic Building. This small residential community was established prior to the Civil War and by 1880 had a population of 2,224. Although the town was officially named Brownville, the Post Office serving it was called, Lively, and the Central of Georgia Railroad designated its depot, Knights Station. On February 19, 1889 the Town of Brownville by an Act of the Alabama Legislature H.B. #679 was officially changed to Phenix City, named for the Phenix Mills in Columbus. Population growth of the City of Phenix City prior to the annexation of the City of Girard by Federal Census: 1890 3,700 1900 4,163 1910 4,555 1920 5,432 Communities Consolidated - 1923 The Cities of Girard and Phenix City were consolidated August 9, 1923, with a total population of 10,374. Soon afterward an effort was made to change the citys name to Brandon in honor of Governor William W. Brandon who signed the consolidation bill. However, after technical difficulties, the original name was retained. The City of Phenix City has been governed at various times by a Board of Aldermen and a five-man and a three-man Board of Commissioners. Dr. Ashby Floyd was appointed Mayor with Homer D. Cobb, Sr., Isaac I. Moses, Clyde M. Knowles, Sr. and Claude B. Gullatt, Sr., serving as commissioners immediately after the consolidation. The five-man Board of Commissioners was decreed unconstitutional, and a Board of Aldermen governed the city from December 1923 until September 1928. The Citys government, headed by a three-man Board of Commissioners from 1928 until 1947, changed to a five-man Board for the period from 1947 until 1953, when it reverted to a three-man Board. In October 1977, the present Council City Manager form of government was adopted.