Fair History The Southern California Fair sponsored by the 46th District Agricultural Association, was established in 1925 when a number of Riverside leaders lobbied for the first official fair for the region, known as the Southern California Fair, Riverside. With the onset of the Great Depression, the Fair was unable to operate. In 1936, it relocated and became known as the Hemet Utility Turkey Show. Held to generate interest in the turkey industry, the show became popular and other events were soon added. In 1946, following World War II, the show became known as the Farmers Fair of Riverside County. In 1947, the 46th DAA acquired a 40-acre site in Hemet, where the Fair remained for 40 years. In 1987, the Fair moved to its present 108-acre site at the Lake Perris Fairgrounds, adjacent to the Lake Perris recreational area. Since its move, the Fair has grown significantly in size, along with the surrounding community, to become one of the areas largest annual events.