In 1953, the Benjamin E. Mays School was built in Pacolet serving area black students in grades one through six and all district black students in grades seven through twelve. The black area students attended Mays School until it closed in the spring of 1970. In 1984 the Pacolet Elementary School building ( Mays School) reopened as Pacolet Junior High. In 1993, Pacolet Junior High was reorganized once more as Pacolet Middle to serve grades 6-8. This grade structure and name has remained since that date. In 1999 the Middle School of Pacolet renamed the school Original Benjamin E. Mays School. The original name was bestowed to honor Dr. Benjamin Mays, an internationally recognized leader, minister, humanitarian, educator, philosopher and writer. In addition to his 500 lifetime awards, Dr. Mays has received membership in the South Carolina Hall of Fame and the nations highest civilian award from the United States Congress. Restoring a landmark in his honor highlights his enormous contributions to America and serves as an inspiration to people of all races.