About the Branch The Herndon Branch opened to the public in November 1998 on busy East Colonial Drive. The branch bears the name Herndon due to the nearby Orlando Executive Airport, which for many of its early years was named Herndon Airport in honor of Albert B. Herndon, a long-time city engineer who moved to Orlando in 1914. This location has an interesting history. In the mid-90s, it housed a major bookstore outlet. The location, size and 2-story glass foyer were easily recognized as an attractive setting for a branch library. Only 3.5 miles from downtown, this close-in location with ample parking near retail centers and restaurants, makes Herndon a popular spot.