L. Claudia Allen Park is adjacent to the senior center and provides many activities in a beautiful lakeside setting. The park is utilized by center participants as well as by the entire neighborhood. History L. Claudia Allen spent 48 years as an educator. She was an elementary school teacher, assistant principal, county supervisor and coordinator of migrant services. Allen founded Orlando's first black Cub Scouts pack and Boy Scouts Troop in 1938, in addition to the first black Girl Scouts Troop #87 in 1940. Her passion for children expanded into organizing the Orlando Council for Retarded Children. In 1957 she worked tirelessly to build a school for retarded blacks and her dream was achieved in 1964 with opening of a school. She served as a dedicated member of the Board of Directors of the American Red Cross in 1960-1972, and opened a school for the severely mentally challenged children on West Cypress Street in 1964. The L. Claudia Allen Senior Center was built in 1980, four years after her death. On February 24, 1984, the City of Orlando dedicated the Washington Shores building in her memory and in celebration of her life, dedicated to children and the black community of Orlando.