Northfield Country Club2066 Roxbury Road, Northfield, VT 05663
History:Golf got its start in Northfield about 1927 at the so called Sanborn Cottage on Turkey Hill. Two fifteen year old lads, Jack Morse and Homer Denny, worked eagerly with the Sanborn family in building a sod course on the hillside pasture by removing all turf in six foot circles called browns instead of greens and started playing them. A number of local business men had also taken up golf, playing elsewhere as well as at the Sanborn cottage. Norwich University offered the use of its Sabine field for men to hit golf balls back and forth at certain hours. All these activities were a prelude to the organization of a country club which began when a committee of three, Dean Sibley, Sam White and Max Sanborn studied the possibility of a real golf course for Northfield. A corporation was formed and the Hebert Freeman house and farm near the Harlow bridge were secured. Nine avid golfers volunteered to build a hole, getting other volunteer help. Much of the design and landscape was the work of Mr. Sanborn. The Freemans continued to live in the house for several years, Freeman serving as groundskeeper and his wife in charge of the clubhouse.