North Zulch Independent School District11304 4th Street, North Zulch, TX 77872
(936) 399-4151 Additional Contacts
History of North Zulch ISD The school was named North Zulch Independent School District for the town which was named in 1849, for Julius Zulch who came to Texas from Germany in 1848, and settled about two miles south of North Zulch. In 1908, when progressive citizens banded themselves together to organize a public school, classes were held in the Free Will Baptist Church with a faculty consisting of W. S. Barron. A building was ready for occupancy by that spring. The years 1935 to 1937, marked great improvements in the North Zulch educational program. The original frame structure was torn down to be used in a home economics and agricultural building located across the street from the main building. Nearby, a stucco building was constructed to be used as both gymnasium and auditorium. Later dressing rooms and showers were added to this building. In 1955, a one-story building was connected to the old building by a covered walk way. A circular drive for buses which allowed the loading and unloading of students and patrons without their being exposed to unfavorable weather conditions was added. In 1976, a new gymnasium was completed at the east end of the 1955 classroom unit. Included in this building was a library. An extremely controversial decision was made in 1979 to tear down the 1924 two-story brick building to build new classrooms, offices, and a cafeteria. The new building was completed in 1981. The destruction of the old brick building was good economically but a costly emotional loss to many in the community and the school. Also in 1981, a portable building was purchased and placed directly where the brick building stood to be used as a library. Due to continued growth of students and maintenance costs for the classrooms built in 1955, additional classrooms and a new library were contructed in 1993 to house the kindergarten through sixth grade. In 1994, the new agricultural/home economics building was completed. An additional eight classrooms and restrooms were later added to house the fourth through sixth grades along with a new science building.