Newport Grammar School301 College St, Newport, TN 37821
(423) 623-3811 Additional Contacts
Newport Grammar School had its beginning on December 7, 1897, when Miss Cynthia McSween sold the city of Newport 5 acres of land to which to build a school. The purchase price was $500. If the school were erected, Miss McSween agreed to provide a fifty-foot street on the north side of the tract intersecting what is known as Mims Avenue. Land for a street connecting to Woodlawn Avenue was donated by Mr. B.D. Jones. The 1904 school catalog describes the school as follows: "The building is of hand-molded brick with 16" solid brick walls and commands a splendid view of the surrounding country. It is two stories and is located in the southern part of the town, occupying the highest point and faces north. There are eight study and recitation rooms, an auditorium and large halls. It is equipped with furnaces, is modern in design, and well lighted. Cost, $12,000. Value of grounds and equipment, $4,000. Total $16,000. The spendid educational plant was established under the urgent demands of the rising generation for better facilities for mental and moral improvement. It speaks well for the citizens of Newport.