History In 1897, the Riverside Association gave its small collection of books to the New York Free Circulating Library. Just four years later, Riverside became a branch of The New York Public Library and, in 1905, moved in at 190 Amsterdam Avenue, a building constructed with funds from Andrew Carnegie. The branch remained there for nearly 87 years, the last 23 in a modern building that replaced the old one at the same site. In September 1992, the Riverside Branch re-opened in a new building at 127 Amsterdam Avenue. The main floor features extensive collections for adults and teenagers. The Children's Room on the second floor combines materials from the Riverside Branch with the specialized children's collections formerly housed at The New York Public Library for the Performing Arts.