About Us For more than a century and a half, the church high on Baptist Hill has graced the Mystic Valley. The structure that became Union Baptist Church began to emerge from several church groups meeting in homes and schoolhouses in the area in the late 18th century. About 1825, the sea-faring men of the village decided to build a meeting house for all denominations, known as the Mariners Free Church. Eventually, each of the denominations built their own churches, leaving the Third Baptist Church occupying the Mariners Church. A group known as the Second Baptist Church built a structure on High Street in Mystic, and these two groups united in 1861 to form the Second and Third Union Baptist Church of Mystic Connecticut. The Second Church building was moved up High Street and joined to the rear of the former Mariners Church at right angles. Looking at the ceiling of the present sanctuary, it is possible to see that the church is actually two joined buildings. The church steeple with the "town" clock was lost in the hurricane of 1938. The church remained without a steeple until 1969, when the steeple and clock were replaced and a carillon installed. The combined pastoral leadership of 26 pastors, other professionals and countless laymen since 1764 is responsible for the building of a church that is a community symbol of character, stature and spirit. This heritage is a foundation for the vigorous and community-minded congregation that exists today. A sincere dedication to the communitys well-being exists in the fellowship of Union Baptist Church. The members and friends of this congregation promote the message of Christ and invite all to participate with them in this fellowship.