City Of Mountain Lake930 3rd Ave, Mountain Lake, MN 56159
History: The "mountain" is two miles southeast of Mountain Lake and the "lake" was built by the Works Progress Administration during the New Deal days. The first white settler to the area,William Mason, found ashallow 900-acre lakewith threeislands. The two smaller islands just broke the water's surface. The third much larger, higher islandlooked to Masonlike a mountain rising from the lake.He named the lake Mountain Lake and the island Mountain Island. When the Sioux City and St. Paul Railroad came in 1871 Mason insisted that the village being platted be named Mtn. Lake. The railroad had selected Midway as the name of the village since it was midway between St. Paul and Sioux City. Mason eventually won. In the 1890sthere was an attempt toturn the mountain into a lakeshore resort.The demand for more tillable land and construction advances led to the demise of thelake in 1905-06. The lake was drained and farmed. Today the island ispart of the Cottonwood County Park System. Mountain Park is southeast of Mtn.Lake. Exit Hwy 60 at County Rd. #1, travel south for a1/10 of a mile, turn east on 380th St for two miles then south for 3/4th mile. For nearly three decades there was no Mtn. Lake at Mtn. Lake. In the 1937 a nine foot earthen dam and outlet was constructed to create a man-made Mtn. Lake complete with an island. The mountain and the lake were back at Mtn. Lake.