Montrose United Methodist Church230 Center Ave S, Montrose, MN 55363
History Methodism in Montrose and vicinity dates back to 1858, when at least ten families of interested friends decided to join together to pray for one another and to help each other live the Christian life. This was called the Fountain Lake Settlement. Services were help in the homes, then small cabins. The ministers walked from station to station. Circuit Riders played a leading part in these early days. In 1860 these early settlers planned on building a log church on the north end of the "Big Marsh," but the Civil War came on and Indian troubles broke out so it was never finished. Another group, the Kreidlers, had settled near Crow River and held services in the homes there. When Montrose village was laid out, services were held in an unfinished store building north of the railroad tracks. Later these small groups joined to form the Montrose Church. The first Methodist Church was built in 1881 on the lot north of the old Public School. At various times the church was connected with Rockford, Howard Lake, Buffalo, Watertown and Delano. In 1952, plans were made to build a new church building. Construction started in 1953 and the new church was opened for worship on February 7th, 1954. This building remains in use with current building. The current fellowship hall was previously the sanctuary and Sunday School rooms are now the office and storage/meeting areas.