Mission: The purpose of St. Barnabas Episcopal Church is to bring people together in Jesus Christ, to know Him personally, and to strengthen the love of God and Man. History: St. Barnabas has had a colorful history with lots of ups and downs. On June 11, 1872, the cornerstone of the original St. Barnabas Episcopal Church, "Sand Hills" (as the neighborhood was then known) was laid. The first few years showed a spectacular level of activity (given the small population of the area) under the leadership of Rev William B. Bolmer, Missionary 1874-1880. In subsequent years, we had brief periods of commitment by priests (who usually covered other nearby rural mission churches as well) but survived due to dedicated lay leadership by people like Alban W. Cooper and Thayer Bolmer. The church was closed from 1935-1939, and again from January 1 - November 20, 1949, but it did not become "extinct" (closed forever) due both from the determination of local residents and Diocesan Mission strategy and cooperation with other churches, an appropriate and critical combination. From 1949-1955 St. Barnabas was served by the Rev. Robert N. Smyth (who also was Vicar of Trinity Church, Rocky Hill, and a school teacher) and from 1955-1960 by the Rev. William A. Eddy, Jr. part-time while he was Episcopal Chaplain at Princeton University. The Rev. Frank K. Jago served as Seminarian-in-charge 1961-63, Vicar 1963-75 and Rector 1975-76. Under his leadership, the congregation left the old church and worshipped in Greenbrook Elementary School 1965-70 until the current church was built. For the first time, St. Barnabas became a full, independent Parish of the Diocese (1975-81) after generations of outside financial help. The move from the old church (which has a capacity of 138 on a 7/10 acre lot with very little parking) was controversial with many long-time members. In 2001, a new church building was completed thanks to generous donations of time and money from parishioners. In 2006, renovations to the "old" church were completed, again thanks to generous donations of time and money from parishioners.