Martin Boulevard Elementary School210 Riverton Rd, Middle River, MD 21220
(410) 887-0158 Additional Contacts
In the early 1900's the children of Middle River attended Orems School. When the two room school became overcrowded, property was purchased from Joseph H. Jenkins for a new school. The new four room school was named Middle River School and it opened in 1927. Miss Sara Pielert, who had been the principal of Orems School, became the principal of Middle River School. Miss Pielert lived in Bengies above the train station with her sister. Miss Pielert rode the train to the Middle River stop each day and walked the remaining distance to the school. Miss Pielert, who was born July 11, 1866 and died December 20, 1939, was the principal until 1933. Mr. Lee Martin became the second principal of Middle River School in 1933. When you walked up the front steps to the school, you entered the "great Hall." Special programs and plays were held in the "Great Hall." Each day began with the Pledge of Allegiance to the flag and a morning prayer. In 1937, four more classrooms were added to the school. This was supposed to be a "temporary" addition. However, it became a permanent part of the school lasting to 1998, despite some structural problems. As the community grew, additional classrooms were needed. In 1947, four classrooms were added to both the east and west sides of the front of the school facing Martin Boulevard. In 1950, the name of the school was changed from Middle River School to Martin Boulevard School. In 1969, another addition was completed. This provided a classroom for the first group of kindergarten children. This section of the school also provided a new library, multi-purpose room (gymnasium and auditorium), Health Room, office and storage. The office, which had been located just inside the doorway of the Martin Boulevard entrance, was moved to the new addition. The main entrance was also moved to the new addition in the rear of the building. Despite a posted sign, this often created confusion for people when they visited the school. By the 1980s, the building was showing its age. Despite efforts to make improvements, it was becoming more difficult to accommodate technology and the changing educational program. In September of 1994, a formal request was presented to the school board for a new school building for the Martin Boulevard community. With the support of the community, Baltimore County Public Schools, the Essex-Middle River Chamber of Commerce, Senator Michael Collins, County Executive C.A. "Dutch" Ruppersberger, and Councilman Vincent Gardina, funding was finally approved for a new school building in the Spring of 1997. A Groundbreaking Ceremony for the new building was held on October 22, 1997. The 1997-98 school year was the last full school year for the original Middle River/Martin Boulevard School. It was a building that truly served the community of Middle River well for many years. It grew and changed as the community grew and changed. Its tradition for excellence and commitment to children will not be forgotten. A beautiful state-of-the-art school building opened in March 1999 to serve the children of the Middle River community for years to come.