History:Considered Miamis Oldest Bar, The Road has survived several Miami land booms, Al Capone, Prohibition, the Great Depression, the country at War, deadly hurricanes, Mariel Boatlift, race-riots, cocaine cowboys, and the rise and fall and rise of South Beach.The Road has been a speakeasy, gambling den, gay bar, strip joint and blues bar. The two-story structure remains virtually unchanged since its inception in the early 1900s. And while ownership has changed, the primary purpose of the establishment - a neighborhood watering hole - has always been the same.The original address was 1812 Avenue D before the city changed its street names in 1920. During its early years, the establishment was a bakery that presumably served as a front for a speakeasy during Prohibition. A secret room hidden behind a bookshelf on the second floor was used to store liquor. While Prohibition was in effect from 1920 - 1930, Dade County was voted to be Dry in 1913. In the 1920s and 30s, the second floor speakeasy was also thought to be used as a gambling den.In 1981, Governor Bob Graham ordered a drug raid on Tobacco Road and the bar was again temporarily shut down. In 1982, the bar was sold to its present owners Michael Latterner and Patrick Gleber. The neighborhood was tough and so was the Road. The parking lot was an abandoned field with homeless squatters and a crack house was located across the street.National blues and jazz acts began playing the bar, including George Clinton - The King of Funk, Koko Taylor, The Queen of the Blues, David Bromberg - Legendary Songwriter and Performer, John Lee Hooker - An American Blues Roots Treasure, Dr. John - Personification of New Orleans and Albert Collins - Blues Guitar Master.Tobacco Road gained a new reputation as a popular hangout with downtown professionals, celebrities and tourists. Today Tobacco Road continues to champion Miamis local music scene with live music seven nights a week.