Operated by the University of Memphis, Chucalissa serves as a gateway into understanding the science of archaeology and the interpretation of Native American history. Our museum exhibits interpret the prehistory of the Mid-South, and contemporary Southeastern Indian cultures. The C.H. Nash Museum was founded in 1956 following the rediscovery of a Mississippian mound complex by workers preparing the T.O. Fuller State Park in the late 1930's. The site was separated from the park and developed as a laboratory for training archaeologists and as a place to interpret archaeology to the broader public. This mission continues today with our museum exhibitions, tours, public events and educational programs.