York Township was first settled in 1830 by George Wilson from the state of New York. More settlers arrived that year and most built their homes in the southern part of the township. Early settlers included Levi and Lawson Branch, Richard and Sara Lampson and Thomas Brintnall. Mr. Levi Branch had the only team of oxen in the township and stayed quite busy making trips into Medina for the other township residents. The township center was originally named York, as most of the early settlers came from New York state. Since there was already another York post office in the state, the village was renamed Mallet Creek, after the principal stream through the township. Mallet Creek, a branch of the Rocky River, was named for Dan Mallet, the first white settler to permanently live along its banks. Mr. Mallet became the first postmaster in 1835, In 1830, Mr. Levi Jones built the first cabin in Abbeyville. In 1832, Mr. Jones turned one room of his cabin into what would become the first store in the township. During the 1830s there was much growth in York township. Sawmills and grain mills were built in Abbeyville. Another mill was built in Lester. An ashery was built in 1834 for the purpose of supplying potash to Cleveland and other large cities.