In February 1820 Granger became an officially organized township named in honor of its former owner, Gideon Granger, who had been a legislator in Connecticut and served as Postmaster General for George Washington.Prehistoric Indians, known as Mound Builders, are believed to be the earliest township inhabitants more than 1000 years ago. Other Indians from the Seneca, Wyandott and Ottawa Tribes hunted and fished , although probably didn't live here. Residents have found many arrowheads and some are on display in the Granger Township Museum. Granger was part of the Connecticut Western Reserve, which was eventually sold in 1795 to the CT. Land Co., who parceled out different lots of land to their investors. Eventually in 1811 the land passed to Gideon Granger. In 1817 Mr. Granger sold the northwest corner of the township to Harry Remsen, and the rest to Anthony Low, Elizur Hills, James Ganyard, and Burt Codding. These families became the first early settlers. In February 1820, Granger became an official township and named Granger. We've come a long way from the first election of Granger Trustees in 1820 when the names of three trustees, one clerk, and a justice of the peace were drawn out of a hat.