About The Chamber: In 1976, the Mechanicsburg Chamber of Commerce moved its offices from 22 East Main Street to the old mail car on the railroad tracks next to the Station Masters House and the Borough Building, the former train station. The Chamber purchased the car at the time of the bicentennial celebration of the country. While the interior has been remodeled as an office, the old slots for mail and the mailbags are still evidence of the train cars original purpose. The Chamber of Commerce traces its roots to an earlier association of merchants the Auto Dealers and Merchants Association, the original sponsors of Jubilee Day. Encouraged by the success of the celebration, the association decided to enlarge the exhibit area and, at the same time, to become a permanent organization meeting monthly instead of once a year. From this decision in 1929, the Chamber of Commerce was born and was able to be listed in the blue book of organized community. The main interest of its early years was the annual Community Chest Drive to contribute to various community activities such as the Red Cross, the Visiting Nurses Association and other charitable groups. Today, Chamber membership is open to all interested persons. The Board of Directors meets once a month at closed meetings. The purpose of the Mechanicsburg Chamber of Commerce is to promote the commercial and community interests of Mechanicsburg Pennsylvania and its environs.