About The Library The Morgan County Public Library began its history in 1906, when Andrew Carnegie donated $12,500 for the construction of the Martinsville Public Library. While his donation was sufficient to cover the expenses of building a brick building to house the library, Martinsville city officials determined that limestone should be used in place of brick for the "Artesian City." After sellinB bonds, city officials were able to generate the additional $2,400 required to construct the building with Bedford limestone. Until 1971 the library served only the citizens of Martinsville and Washington Township, but in that year, the library merged with the Bookmobile service to become the Morgan County Contractual Library, serving all areas of the county except Brown Township (Mooresville). In 1976, the library changed names again, and became the Morgan County Public Library. When it celebrated its "Grand Opening" in September of 1908, the library had a collection of 1,500 books. After achieving a $1.7 million expansion and renovation in 1990, the main library is now more than four times its original size and houses over 100,000 volumes, as well as a large selection of "talking" books on CD/cassette, DVD/VHS movies, an extensive genaealogy collection, magazines and computers for public use. The Morgan County Public Library currently provides book and catalog services at the Main Library and six branch locations, with over 180,000 itemB in circulation system-wide.