Root House Museum65 Whitlock Ave SW, Marietta, GA 30064
About the Museum: The Root House was built circa 1845 at the corner of Church and Lemon Streets by Hannah and William Root, early settlers of Marietta. Mr. Root was one of Mariettas earliest merchants and its first druggist. He was the first merchant to receive a shipment of goods on the Western and Atlantic Railroad.. Today the Greek Revival style house stands just two blocks from its original location. It is one of the oldest surviving frame houses in Marietta, and offers a glimpse of the home life of a middle class merchant and his family. This simple frame house is more typical of its time and place than the grand mansions often on display. Volunteer docents tell the story of the house, the Root family, and life in Marietta in the 1850s. Furnished with period furniture in the fashion of the 1850s, each room shows evidence of middle class life-style. Great effort has been made to bring only authentic pieces to the house. Outside visits can visit the recreated kitchen and see the working 1850s cookstove. They can walk among the flower beds and vegetable plots planted with plants that were available in Cobb County before 1860.