Mount Olivet United Methodist Church300 Ananias Dare St, Manteo, NC 27954
Under the leadership of The Reverend Joseph G. Lennon, a Methodist "circuit rider," a group of residents set about to establish a church in Manteo. The first parcel of land on which Mount Olivet United Methodist Church now stands was purchased for $26.50 in May 1887 and consisted of "one half acre more or less." A wooden church 32x50 feet was constructed in the fall of 1887 for $1,500. It was a one-room building with a steeple, a vestibule and two small side rooms beside the main sanctuary.In 1907 classrooms and a choir loft were added and about the same time the first library in the area was established in the church.In 1947 an educational building was added on property previously purchased, and in 1982 the current fellowship hall was dedicated. By 1983 a major enlargement and renovation of the sanctuary was necessary. The plans were to maintain, as far as possible, the appearance and exterior characteristics of the historic building. Enlargement was obtained by moving walls outward and a new entrance and narthex constructed. Old stained glass windows were carefully removed and restored and along with many new windows, were incorporated in the new building which was consecrated on June 16, 1985. Stephens and Francis, the architects, won the Dumont Award for their work on the renovation of Mount Olivet.