Visit our facebook page & web site for Super Deals! Briarhurst is located just minutes from downtown Colorado Springs, Briarhurst Manor is on the National Register of Historic Places. Built shortly after the Civil War in 1872 at the foot of Pikes Peak by the founder of Manitou Springs, Dr. William Bell, it has unrivaled views of the surrounding area and is one of the prettiest locations in the region. The abundantly flowing Fountain Creek and a greenbelt perimeter create a setting that displays the architecture and landscaping of the English style country house.
The architect Frederick Julius Sterner,who also planned Glen Eyrie castle, the second Antlers Hotel in Colorado Springs, and the Daniels and Fisher Building in Denver, designed the Briarhurst for Dr. Bell's wife Cara, affectionately known to all as William's ", Magnificent Distraction.",
The three-story Victorian Manor is crafted of finely grained pink sandstone and displays the height of the stonemason's art. The Estate has 23", thick walls, artistic chimneypots, carved stone gargoyles, and numerous architectural details that have been the subject of uncounted sketches, paintings and photographs.
The wild rose bushes that grew along the ", Fontaine qui Bouille", reminded the Bells of the sweetbriar of their native England, and led to them giving the name of Briarhurst to their new home. These same wild roses, and the sweetbriar they later carefully transplanted from their home in England, greeted many dignitaries such as General William J. Palmer, Canon Kingsley, Lord Dunraven, Sholto Douglas, General Ulysses S. Grant, Lord Queensbury, and numerous other celebrites.