Branch History The Madisonville Branch Library originally opened June 15, 1950 as one of the original branches founded during the Library Demonstration program in St. Tammany Parish. The branch was located in a small frame building next to the First National Bank building. St. Tammany Parish purchased the old, two-story Madisonville Bank Building located at 400 Cedar Street during the late 1980's. Funding for the purchase and renovation of the building was provided by a bond issue approved by St. Tammany Parish voters during the mid 1980's. This building was built in 1906. Initially, the building was a barroom and served sailors as well as workers in the then booming ship building business. About 1915, it became the site of the Madisonville Bank. After a robbery, the bank closed and the building was then used as the first hospital in the parish. The hospital eventually closed and a clinic, electrical shop, antique shop, and art gallery utilized the building. On Sunday, November 6, 1987, the building was officially named the Madisonville Branch Library. This 2,000 square foot branch is unusual because of the age and history of the building and because it has two floors and an elevator.