Ludowici, pronounced "Loo'duh-wee'-see", is the county seat for Long County. Incorporated August 23, 1905, the city was named in honor of William Ludowici, a German immigrant, who contributed substantially to the construction of the county high school. The city is the county's only incorporated area. The Long County courthouse in Ludowici was constructed in 1926 and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Also on the National Registry is the Ludowici Well Pavilion. This well was built in 1907 and provided public drinking water for many years.