History Lucedale was founded in 1901 when Governor A.H. Longino affixed his hand and seal to the proclamation, which incorporated the Town of Lucedale. At this time there were 332 inhabitants. According to the 1970 census, the Town of Lucedale had a population of 2,083. This increase in population made the Town of Lucedale fall within the classification of a "City". On February 22, 1977, the Secretary of State, Hever Ladner signed the official order declaring the town as "City of Lucedale." Things have changed since 1901. The 2000 census showed the population of Lucedale at 2,458 citizens. The first official meeting of the Board of Aldermen was a special called meeting held on June 20, 1901. The first Ordinance that was adopted was that to establish a permanent meeting place of the Board which was on the lower floor of the only Bank building in town at that time. We have since purchased a new City Hall and all meetings are held at 5126 Main Street, Lucedale, MS. The first Post Office was built in Lucedale in 1899. When the town was incorporated in 1901, Dr. W.B. Brewton became the town's first Mayor. Lucedale serves as the county seat and is the only municipality in George County. Lucedale is located approximately 40 miles northwest of Mobile, 60 miles southeast of Hattiesburg, and 35 miles north of Pascagoula.