Lafayette Regional Institute was chartered and authorized by ACT 208 of June 30, 1973. The name of the school was changed to Lafayette Regional Vocational Technical School on July 15, 1982 and to Lafayette Regional Vocational Technical Institute in July 1983. In February 1990, the name was changed to Lafayette Regional Technical Institute. It received its present name of Louisiana Technical College, Lafayette Campus July 1995, when Louisiana State Department of Education and Vocational Education placed all postsecondary technical schools under the Louisiana Technical College System. On July 1, 1999, the college was placed under the governing auspices of the Board of Supervisors for the Louisiana Community and Technical College System.Although Acadiana Technical College, Lafayette Campus operates as one campus, the Aviation Maintenance Technology program is housed in a hangar at the Lafayette Regional Airport at 205 Shepard Drive, Lafayette, LA 70508. The main campus is situated on a 20.9 acre site and was constructed at a cost of five (5) million dollars. It is located at 1101 Bertrand Drive in the parish of Lafayette, but serves citizens of parishes throughout the state.