Christ The King Catholic Church1501 S Main St, Lombard, IL 60148
Histroy On August 31, 1960, Bishop Martin McNamara founded Christ the King Parish with 300 families. Fr. James Gilbride was appointed its founding pastor, and established the rectory at 1540 South Highland Avenue, but 72 days later he went to heaven. Fr. John Mayer was appointed pastor just before the Feast of Christ the King, which used to be celebrated on the last Sunday in October. During his pastorate, the people of Christ the King built the school and the former church, which is the current parish center and school gym. Our school continues to this day as a testimony to the parish's commitment to Catholic education. When Fr. Mayer died in 1967, Fr. Frederick Golden was appointed pastor. Under his pastorate, the people of Christ the King paid off the parish mortgage, despite the famous fire that nearly burned down the rectory. In 1975, Fr. John Ryan was appointed administrator, and as pastor in 1976. During this time, Fr. Robert Schoenstene came as a deacon, was ordained as a priest in 1975, and still serves the parish today on weekends, while being a professor of Old Testament studies at St. Mary of the Lake Seminary in Mundelein. Fr. John Ryan entered Eternal Life on December 28, 2005. In 1979, Philip Gavin was ordained a deacon still served the parish until his retirement. Under Fr. Ryan's pastorate, the people of Christ the King built a new rectory and an impressive new church, which was dedicated by Bishop Imesch on December 19, 1981. In 1988, Fr. Michael Valente was appointed pastor. During his pastorate, a kindergarten addition was built onto our school, the school survived the great freeze of 1994 that shut it down for six weeks, and we received a new main altar which Bishop Roger Kaffer dedicated on the occasion of our parish's 35th anniversary. Fr. David Hankus was assigned associate pastor in 1989 and served for eight years before becoming pastor of St. Francis of Assisi in Bolingbrook. Fr. James Dvorscak was assigned pastor in 1994. During his pastorate the parish mortgage was paid and many improvements were made to the parish buildings and grounds. The church was renovated with new pews, new carpet and a more prominent tabernacle. Fr. Jim started plans to expand our facilities with a new parish center. In 2002, Fr. Jim was appointed pastor at St. Mary's in Mokena. Fr. Peter Jarosz was appointed pastor in June, 2002. Fr. Peter serves the parish along with Deacons Frank Lillig, John Freund, Wayne Storrs, and Fred Francl. Fr. Peter continues the parish center project. Current we have approximately 1450 families at "The Church on a Hill, in a Park, where Christ is King.