Lithonia-Davidson Library6821 Church St, Lithonia, GA 30058
History Of The Library: The Lithonia Public Library is considered the oldest in DeKalb County. The Library was founded in 1907 when Miss Lula Almand collected one shelf of 50 of her own and donated books and invited all townsfolk to freely borrow and read. In 1909, the Improvement Club was founded to beautify the city and support the library. Miss Lula was a founding member of the club and remained as librarian until 1914. At that time, the library was moved to the first of three Main Street buildings. In 1924, the Improvement Club and the Needlework Club joined to become the Lithonia Women's Club. In 1928, a clubhouse was built on Wiggins Street. The Library had its own room adjoining the clubroom with its own entrance marked "Lithonia Public Library." During this period, the Library was supported financially by the Women's Club through donations, tag days, silver teas, and book showers. During the Depression era, expenses were low - one month's entry read: oil for heater 14 (borrowed heater), library rubber stamp 75 . Beginning in 1934, the state Library Extension Service began providing a small collection of books which rotated every 3 months. The first outside funding came in 1938 with an annual contribution of $50 from the city council. At this time, the club was paying its librarians $5 per month, and the Library was open one full afternoon per week. Also in 1938, Mrs. Maud Burrus, director of the Decatur Library was approached for assistance. She immediately provided some books, advice on how to run a library, and her infectious enthusiasm for library service. Through Mrs. Burrus, county funds were obtained to purchase the library's first professional equipment - two card file drawers and a typewriter. A Works Progress Administration assistant typed catalog cards, helped with circulation, and enabled the library to be open every afternoon. During the first month with expanded hours, the Library's circulation jumped from 400 to 1000 (of the 2,500 books in the collection). In 1951, the Decatur-DeKalb, Lithonia, Brookhaven and Rockdale Counties joined to form a regional library system. The Lithonia Library had a separate library board until 1971. In 1954 county bond and federal grant funds were obtained for a new building. The building was constructed on the corner of College and Lucellen avenues across from the school. In May 1987, Lithonia became the first DCPL branch to use the NOTIS automated circulation system. The 1986 library bond issue included funds to expand the Lithonia branch. After plans had been drawn up, soil samples on the Lucellen Avenue site determined that the water table was too close to the surface to build there. A new site was found on Church Street, but the delay meant that the new building was the last free-standing facility built with the 1986 bond funds to open. On August 7, 1992 the library was dedicated and renamed the Lithonia-Davidson Library in honor Mrs. Charles L. Davidson. Mrs. Davidson was a long time library supporter and served as Chairman of the Lithonia Library board from 1940 to 1971.