Linwood City Hall306 Main St, Linwood, KS 66052
History: The city of Linwood was once named after a Delaware Chief around which the following legend was interwoven... "At one time a young brave of the Delaware Tribe was captured by white traders and carried to a far away distance from the tribe. He eventually managed to escape and upon his long journey home, which was fraught with many dangers and hardships, he was forced to rely for subsistence upon a small cake of corn bread which he had concealed upon his person. Having arrived safely with his tribe and after telling his story, he was re-christened "Journey-Cake". This name was originally given to the city of Linnwood owing to the close proximity within which Charles Journeycake lived to the city at the time of its establishment. The name, which is purely of Indian origin, has been corrupted by the whites to that of "Johnnycake". What we know as the Sarcoxie School District was named after Chief Sarcoxie of the Delaware, and in May 1860 he entered into a treaty at Sarcoxieville, a settlement on the reservation, and assigned each member of the tribe eighty acres of land, and sold the balance of the land to the railroad companies, now the Union Pacific, at not less than $1.25 per acre. The Sarcoxie district is about three miles northeast of Linwood. In 1867 the tribe was moved to the Indian Territory, only about 200 members of the tribe remaining. And thus the Indians were slowly driven out by the white people.