The history of Upper Leacock Township can be traced to the beginnings of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and the formation of the original seventeen townships of Lancaster County. In 1729, when Lancaster County was organized, Upper Leacock Township was included in Leacock Township. The pioneer citizens of the territory felt this extensive spread of land was too large for effective communication and government and, they petitioned the Lancaster County Court for the formation of a new township to be called Upper Leacock Township. This petition was granted on June 19, 1743, creating the Township which is bounded by the Conestoga Creek on the west, East Lampeter Township on the south, the Pequea Creek on the east, and West Earl Township on the north. It consists of approximately 17 square miles of rich agricultural land. Among some of the early pioneers to the Township were the Bushongs, Carpenters, Weidlers, Buckwalters, Groffs, and Mixels. One of the earliest settlers of the Township was Emanuel Carpenter who moved into the region in 1723 and settled along the boundaries between West Earl and Upper Leacock Townships. He became one of the areas leading citizens and was a member of the Provincial Assembly starting in 1756. Leacock (formerly known as Mechanicsburg) is said to have been named for a place in Ireland by the same name. The first house in the town was once occupied as the residence of Rev. Samuel Trumbauer, and was originally dedicated as a cake, candy, drug shop. The oldest recorded deed in the town is to the D. B. Landis farm, dated May 5, 1736. Dr. Isaac Weidler was the first physician to set up practice in Mechanicsburg in 1825. He continued his medical practice in the township for fifty years. In 1850 a pottery business was erected in the triangle formed by the New Holland turnpike and the Newport road. Until recently there were separate Post Offices in Bareville, Leola, and Leacock. As time has passed the three villages have grown closer together and have progressed to the point where the three towns have merged into one community called Leola. For more than two hundred years, our ancestors have inhabited parts of this county. Some were progressive minded souls who saw the need for industry, schools, and community cooperation. Others were content to maintain the status quo and not advance with the times. By cooperation and understanding we will be able to reconcile the problems that face us now and those that must be addressed in the future.