The Joplin Humane Society was incorporated in 1948 as a non-for-profit organization taking on the responsibility of helping animals. In 1956, a stucco building with inside pens and a large cattery was purchased. This building is standing near the Pet Cemetery that the Humane Society oversees behind the VFW Hall on Main Street. As the animal population grew, so did the need for a larger shelter. The Society received a generous donation of land from a local resident and moved the shelter to Swede Lane in 1966, which still remains the current location. Mission: The mission of the Joplin Humane Society is to promote the humane care and protection of all animals, especially those abandoned, neglected and abused, and to prevent cruelty and suffering of all animals. Our business is the human care and protection of all animals. An integral part of our mission is in educating the populace on all aspects of animal care, including the role of responsible pet ownership, including the importance of spaying and neutering companion pets. Of like importance, is the awareness of and education of the public as to the plight of abandoned, neglected and abused animals. We provide service to the people of the Four State area for maintaining the health and welfare of the animal population. The Society is committed to increasing the number of adoptions of shelter animals and further accepts the responsibility of reducing the number of animals that must be euthanized due to the lack of placements and space. The Society is further committed to a humane method of euthanasia. The Joplin Humane Society is committed to speaking for animals - a life that has no voice, and to tell the truth, as we try to change the truth we have to tell. A vision - to reverse the percentage of animals euthanized as compared to being adopted into loving and caring homes within the next 5 years. A promise - to change the truth we have to tell a more positive truth. A dream - transformed into reality.