History: Jenks was geographically located on two major transportation routes. A cooperative agreement between the Midland Valley Railroad and the Midland Valley Townsite Company established a community site along the railroad which was constructed in 1904 between Tulsa and Muskogee. The future community's location was further enhanced by the proximity of the Arkansas River which was navigable by shallow draft steam boats when the river level was high. The new town was most influenced by the railroad and took its name from a director of the railroad who lived in Philadelphia. Agriculture, oil, and the railroad were the primary economic forces in the town's early history. The discovery of oil nearby in 1905 greatly effected Jenks' early development. In 1906 oil tank farms were constructed near Jenks to store oil. The expensive tank farms increased the area property valuation and contributed considerable revenue to the Jenks school district. As nearby oil fields played out, tank farms were dismantled and farming regained importance. The role of agriculture in the area was further strengthened with the immigration to the Jenks area of a sizable settlement of Bulgarian farmers and their families in the 1920's. Truck farming, live stock production, and dairying became the dominant activities. Although the Arkansas River was not used primarily for water transportation its role was significant as it related to river crossings. The first Jenks single lane bridge across the Arkansas River was built in 1910 to be replace in 1948 with a two-lane bridge. In 1996 a four-lane bridge connected Jenks with South Tulsa. In addition to these local roadways, Jenks has benefited from the construction of U. S Highway 75 and the construction of the Creek Turnpike.