History Irvine Community Church, Irvine's oldest, began on January 17, 1932, when a Sunday School was organized on the Irvine Ranch, sponsored by the American Sunday School Union (now called American Missionary Fellowship). An old schoolhouse on Sand Canyon Avenue was home to the Sunday School. Irvine Community Church grew out of this Sunday School. By November 23, 1945, the church was incorporated and the first part-time pastor came in February 1946. A building was needed to conduct a full church program. After much discussion and prayer, the trustees began in 1948 planning the new building on faith at a time when offerings were $15 per month. James Irvine donated the land and small amounts began to arrive. After much prayer, sacrifice, and hard work, the congregation moved in their new place of worship in October 1951.