Holy Name of Jesus had a humble beginning as a mission parish of the Ascension Catholic Church in Eau Gallie. On Christmas Eve, 1959, the first Mass was celebrated by Reverend Father Martin B. Power, founding Pastor of Ascension as well as the mission parish in Canova Beach. Through the cooperation of land developer Martin McGuire, the Christmas Eve Mass was celebrated in an unfinished house in Indian Harbour Beach. The Most Reverend Joseph P. Hurley, Archbishop of St. Augustine, affectionately known as Ten Acres Joe by his priests for his farsighted policy of buying ten acres all over Florida for future parish sites, had purchased ten acres in 1965, just south of the Eau Gallie Causeway. In a letter dated January 1961, Father Power informed the Archbishop that the property was land-locked with no right of way on A1A so an additional 3.7 acre adjoining property was purchased in June, 1961, with a 290 frontage on Highway A1A. Ground was broken for a provisional church on September 9, 1962. The church had a seating capacity of 480 and included a 2,000-sq. ft. hall. The Most Reverend Joseph P. Hurley, dedicated the Church and hall in March 1963. There were about 250 families in the church when the dedication took place. Sufficient land had been purchased for the expansion of the rapidly growing mission, which was to include a school and convent.