Conceived in 1956 by Dr. Werner Fliesser, long-time Hoopeston physician, Hoopeston Community Memorial Hospital, Inc. was created as a not-for-profit corporation. The hospital opened its door in July of 1962 with the assistance of Lutheran Hospital and Homes Society who owned and operated the facility.In 1972, a 50-bed skilled nursing home was constructed adjacent to the hospital. To meet the growing needs of the community and area, the Hoopeston Community Memorial Nursing Home added an additional 25-beds in 1995, to offer a total of 75 beds. Also in 1995, the hospital kitchen was expanded and Country Terrace, a 30 apartment senior independent living community, was opened.Country TerraceIn 1986, the hospital was sold to Westworld Community Healthcare, Inc., which then filed bankruptcy in 1987. To save the hospital from closing, the community and area rallied to raise the necessary funds to purchase the hospital out of bankruptcy.