History: Christ the King Church, Hillside, began as a Mission of St. Catherine, Hillside, on November 8, 1931. The little white wooden structure became a separate parish on June 16, 1948, Fr Perry G. DeWitt was the first pastor, assisted by Fr. Gerard B. Whelan and Fr. Joseph B. Bagley, followed by Fr. Richard A. Greene. The following societies began as early as 1932. The Holy Name Society, Rosary/Altar Society, Young Ladies Sodality, the Junior Holy Name Society and the CCD, Christ the King continued to add the following groups that met at the parish such as Boy Scouts Troop 99 and the Girl Scouts. On December 12, 1952, Fr. Dewitt broke ground for Christ the King School, which opened with 530 students from K through 6th Grade in September 1953. Sr. Veronica Mary of the Dominican Sisters was the first principal and the Dominican Sisters the first teachers. In October 1954, the Convent was completed to house the many Sisters that would serve the Parish School. The first eight grade graduating class was in June 1956. Sr. Sheila Madden became Principal of Christ the King School in 1983 until June 2004. CTK School then merged with St. Catherine of Sienna in Hillside becoming Hillside Catholic Academy on July 1st, 2004 with Mr. Michael Butchko as the Principal. Fr.Dewitt remained Pastor until his death. Fr. Emmet Knox became pastor on March 2, 1957 and succeeded in his plan for a new rectory. On July 1, 1961, Fr. Daniel Curtin became pastor. The laying of the cornerstone and blessing of the new church on Rutgers Avenue was celebrated on April 16, 1966. Fr. Curtin was assisted by Fr. John Tyks and Fr. William Smalley. Fr. Curtin was able to pay off the parish debt through the enormous sacrifice and love of Christ the King parishioners. On March 3, 1974 Rev. Joseph T. O'Connor became the Pastor. As the new pastor he rekindled the CYO Prayer Group, the High School CYO and the parish began to flourish. The Home School Association was also founded at that time. On July 2, 1979, an innovation from the Archdiocese became a reality in Christ the King Parish. Team Ministry was installed with the following Team Members: Fr. John Tyks, Sr. Catherine Carroll, Fr. Robert Chabak, Sr. Lucille Ceviello and Fr. Anthony Nardino. Fr. Anthony Borka replaced Fr. Tyks in 1981. On July 2, 1988, Fr. Richard D. Carlson became pastor and oversaw the transition from Team Ministry back to pastor. He continued as pastor for 12 years. The Parochial Vicars were: Fr. Michael Patete, Fr. John McCrone, Fr. Steven Brosk, Fr. Valentine Ugwuanya, Fr. William G. Cook, Fr. Romeo Axalan, and Fr. Wilson Divina, who is currently at Christ the King. Groups such as Couples for Christ, Handmaidens for Christ, AA, Portuguese community and small prayer groups began meeting at Christ the King. On July 1, 2000, Fr. Venantius M. Fernando became the pastor. He has succeeded in getting more parishioners to become more involved wih the various committees and ministries that make us a vibrant community. Christ the King Parish has grown to what it is today because each pastor brought with him a vision and a dream.