J. D. Golden was the man with the vision for Southside Baptist Church. In the spring of 1947, a prayer meeting was held at the J. O. McLeod residence with ten people present. Soon prayer meetings were conducted under a tent. Later in 1947, the assembly began meeting at the Primitive Baptist Church on Cromartie Street. Bro. Thomas P. Whitfield pastored the church during its early development. On June 6, 1948, the church was constituted and construction of the first sanctuary began in October of that year. Bro. Alvin Lynn was the pastor at this time. In October 1954, the first service was held in the church's new sanctuary. Pastors during the 1950's included Bro. Bob Vinson (1950-1951), Bro. E. B. Peacock (1953-1956), and Bro. Kelly Runyan (1957-1959). During the decades of the 60's and 70's the Lord blessed the ministry of Southside through Rev. Alton E. Towe, Rev. Kelly Runyan (who returned for two years), Rev. C. C. Culpepper, Rev. John Lewis, Rev. Jack Belcher, and Rev. Ricky Baldwin. Because of the Lord's great blessing in the early 80's there was an ever-increasing need for more space. On June 29, 1986, ground was broken for a new Worship Center that would seat 600 people. Many members contributed to the building of the new sanctuary. A day of dedication for the new sanctuary was held on February 8, 1987. In June, 1987, Rev. Ricky Baldwin resigned after 12 years of faithful service. The following September, Dr. Ben Glosson was called as Pastor of Southside. Throughout our history God has blessed and challenged us in many ways. We pray that the Lord will continue to guide us in knowing how to respond to the needs of His church and His people.