History:On July 16, 1951 twenty-eight people met in the home of Mr. and Mrs. Ray Lackey and organized the Cherry Point Missionary Baptist Sunday School. The Sunday School met in the Community Building at 9:45 am with a worship service following.On January 10, 1952, First Baptist Church of New Bern, who agreed to act as the sponsoring church, accepted the congregation. On September 21, 1952, with 62 charter members, the group formally organized as a self-supporting church in the auditorium of Cherry Point Elementary School.From the very early days of the church, it was evident that the church would need its own facilities for worship, teaching, and fellowship. With the assistance of the State Mission Board of the Baptist State Convention, the church conducted a very aggessive building campaign. Over a period of twenty-five years, the present facilities were completed, with the last building being paid off in July 1982.The church has been mission oriented and has benefited from competent pastoral leadership. But most important, is the impact the church has had on the lives of people. Cherry Point Baptist Church remains true to its mission by proclaiming the Gospel of Grace, the teaching of God's Word, the training of disciples, by the fellowship of believers, and by proclaiming the love of God through His Son and Savior, Jesus Christ.